Utah Physical Therapy Association
The Utah State Department of Professional Licensing (DOPL) now requires continuing education credit for PT and PTA licensing.
Read DOPL's rules for CEUs.
DOPL has produced a document answering the most frequently asked questions they have received regarding physical therapy CEU requirements. Please take time to review this very helpful document.
If you still have questions regarding CEU requirements you can email DOPL directly at "email@example.com" or phone at 801-530-6628.
For additional information, visit the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing website.
Here are some frequently asked questions about CEUs:
- Each PT is required to have a total of 40 hours during each 2-year licensing cycle. PTAs are required to have a total of 20 hours.
- Half of those hours can be earned through on-line courses.
- Ten of those hours can be earned through personal or group study.
- Each PT or PTA is required to have 3 hours of "ethics" training, which can usually be earned at the Spring and Fall UPTA conferences, on-line through the APTA's Learning Center, or through other means.
- For the current renewal cycle, you will count continuing education performed on or after June 1, 2011.
- "Approved hours" means that the hours have been approved by the UPTA, APTA, or another accepted accrediting body.
- "Each contact hour of continuing education shall consist of not fewer than 50 minutes of education."
- Not all PTs/PTAs will be required to provide proof of continuing education. 8-10% of license applicants will be audited.
- If you take a course that has not been accredited, you may do so by submitting it to the UPTA Accrediting Committee. There is a $15 fee for UPTA members and a $25 fee for nonmembers. (Here is the link if you need it)http://www.uptaonline.org/course-accreditation-approval.php
This is just a short list of FAQs. Please read the Physical Therapy Practice Act Rule for additional details. If you have questions or concerns, you may email DOPL via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (801) 530-6628. I am also available to answer questions via email at email@example.com.
Don't forget about two events: the APTA National Conference coming to Salt Lake City in June 2013, and the UPTA Fall Conference. These are exciting opportunities to network with your peers, as well as earn valuable CEUs.
Have a great day... and keep earning CEUs!
Mark E. Hyder, PT, DPT
UPTA Coninuing Education Chairperson
APTA Learning Center
The APTA Learning Center allows you to register and complete online courses anytime, anywhere. You can print CEU certificates on demand and track your progress in meeting Utah’s new CEU requirements. There are 30 + courses available which are interactive online learning experiences.
There are 4 FREE Members only courses. You will find an easy to use course catalog. For more information, visit http://learningcenter.apta.org/. It’s a bargain!